Manager of Special Events
601 Erieside Ave, Cleveland, Ohio, us
At Great Lakes Science Center, we make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) come alive to feed the inner sense of curiosity for guests of all ages. We believe in the value of using real scientific challenges through opportunities to invent, design, tinker and create to encourage curiosity and experimentation. The Science Center remains committed to developing informal science education programs that inspire young minds, improve STEM literacy and cultivate the creative, critical thinkers who will shape the future of Northeast Ohio.
The position of Special Events Manager reports to the Vice President of Marketing, Sales and Communications, the Manager is responsible for maximizing revenue from corporations and individuals through facility rental sales within the building and its property. The Manager is responsible for development and execution of sales and marketing strategy, as well as all event logistics and related organizational operations. In addition, Manager will lead organization-wide, major annual special events including the Science Centers signature event, Yuri’s Night Space Party. Position works closely with onsite caterer, facilities, exhibits, marketing, development and education departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop and implement sales plan to maximize facility rental revenue for the organization.
- Manage events (many evening and weekend), acting as Manager on Duty for the building during events at off-hours.
- Proactively identify opportunities to increase facility rental revenue and client base.
- Deliver on-budget results, while providing accurate forecasts throughout the fiscal year.
- Work closely with onsite caterer (Levy Restaurants), facilities, exhibitions, education, marketing and development departments to ensure all event details are planned, communicated and executed.
- Lead major, organization-wide events as needed.
- Work with marketing department to create sales and marketing materials, including collateral, advertising, e-newsletters and direct mail.
- Participate in all organization cross-functional team meetings, including weekly
- Supervise Special Events Coordinator; direct the work tasks of staff and volunteers assigned to events.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Hold a Bachelor’s Degree, or higher, from an accredited college or university in marketing, sales, business administration, or related field and have a minimum of 2-4 years experience in sales, marketing or special events.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications (K/S/A):
- Strong sales skills, including prospecting and qualifying potential leads, and the ability to manage day-to-day sales and operational details for multiple clients and events is essential.
- Demonstrated success in developing and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders including colleagues.
- Strong business acumen, including problem solving, vision, management of deadlines, collaborative leadership style and decision making and ability to analyze diverse facts and develop clear and concise reports and recommendations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite of products, including Excel, is necessary.
- Familiarity with salesforce software preferred but not required. Position requires frequent evening and weekend hours.
All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If you would like to apply for this position, click the Apply button below. On the following page, click the Interested button and follow the online directions.